My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Monday, May 29, 2006

Felted Balls?

Yep we are in the midst of preparing for the move June 1st.
Of course, this means i managed to obtain a fleece and have to clean it. Have to - 'cause ya know it smells bad...how come people don't bathe the sheep before shaving them? Wouldn't it make the de-fleecing a pleasanter experience?
Anyhow, i now have a fleece and need to learn to spin. But i wanted to try felting unspun wool too. So here my dears, is the chronicle of the try. ( i hear Yoda" Do or do not, there is no try" Whatever!


So i cleaned and picked over a small amount of fleece.

Then took some flowers from a bush outside and boiled them up leaving a nice purple colour to the water. Also did some lemon balm too thinking it would make a nice green. Added vinegar to the water as a mordant.

When i saw that the green was not being picked up by the wool, i threw in a pack of orange koolaid. Put both bowls in the oven for half an hour to process the dye. And got this:

insert swearing of your choice

Good thing i like orange. I rolled up the balls and tried felting them by hand . Nope. Put them in the bottom of socks and washed and dried them in large loads of laundry according to these instuctions for lovely felted balls.

http://gfwsheep.com/feltballs/feltballs1.html

Got a pile of fluff.

Finally i found a pair of very thin socks ( prev had used the bf's white sox) and tried again. Now i have 3 balls that are semi hard. Punny?

sigh

I'm going to wrap them in some different colours of Lopi and try again. I'll let you know.

I wonder why the blue didnt take? It certainly seemed strong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nit One Perl Two said...

I am so happy I found your site. It appears we have more in common than knitting! I'll let you know when I complete the "world renound" triple lindee patern!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home